If you buy a house by means of a part exchange, do you pay stamp duty on the cash value only?

by , 18 Oct 2010

We are considering a part exchange sale of our house to the owner of the house we would like to buy. We would offer the title deeds to our house + cash to the value of the house we want. Do we then pay stamp duty on the cash amount (under ?250,000 threshold) or the total 'sale' value (which would be over ?250,000 and therefore subject to 3% stamp duty)??


add your answer here


I think you'll need to chat to the solicitors doing the conveyancing to see if it's possible and to make sure the contracts are correctly worded!

In the 2003 SDLT bill, part exchanges can be exempt from stamp duty if you're exchanging for a new build house that's at a higher value than your current one. Check out:


Also, HMRC have a telephone line for Stamp Duty and Land Tax related queries which you may find helpful:

Stamp Taxes Helpline, 0845 603 0135

by G-Man, 18 Oct 2010

Posts within the money.co.uk community represent the views, experiences and opinions of members and experts only. They should not be taken as financial advice and should not be followed without further research.

Get our free money saving newsletter
Join over 450,000 other subscribers who grab our expert money tips, unmissable money guides & hottest bargains each week in our special email...